Tuesday 26 February 2013

4a - Initial questions.

A set of question relevant to my practice???

What is my practice? That is a question in itself! I feel a little in limbo. Right now I teach musical theatre as an extra-curricular activity. The reason I'm doing this course is so I can go on to gain Qualified Teacher Status and work within a school setting as a dance and drama teacher.

The two careers are very similar but yet worlds apart. I feel that I should be looking into the questions I have arising about my up and coming career. But this is not yet strictly classed as my practice.

So I've thought long and hard about the transition between the two and have come up with a few themes that interest me and are relevant to my current and future practices :)

1. Student / Teacher relationships.

2. The importance of understanding that every student is different with individual needs.

3. What skills do I need as a teacher to enable the successful teaching of many different students.

4. How do students of different ages need to differently interact with their teachers.

5. Does a successful student teacher relationship have any baring on how successful a teacher is?

6. As a teacher are students ever to young to learn the benefits of self teaching. At what age/stage do you introduce this?

7. Do the relationships teachers have with their students vary depending on what subject they teach?

8. What form of teaching to students best respond to?

Moving my career in a new direction is taking me out of my comfort zone. I have a great relationship with my current students but they are all of a similar age, back ground and status. I fear I may be like a fish out of water in a big state secondary school.

Once you have there attention the rest can be worked on. So if I can master the art of good teacher/student relations hopefully I'll become the successful teacher that I aspire to be.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bobbie, just a short one as working out how my iPad can do longer comments- I noticed you had one, any tips?
    Very interested to read your questions and quite a lot seem linked, or as though you could link them. The first 3, numbers 5 and 8 can all feed off each other to develop a really thought-provoking line of inquiry. Respect is key as I think we mentioned in the campus session, but as you pick up in point 2 empathy and understanding of your students is also a factor. I think having an interest in them as people, showing you care about their lives is of great value and can help with student-teacher relationships. When I teach little ones, when we are in a circle before the register (usually waiting for people to trickle in) I will always have a chat with them and find out what has been going on that was really fun this week. Quite often they tell me without asking, but I find it's important to go around and ask those children that are a little shyer as well so that everyone feels cared about! It seems to be that by opening up a line of discussion - even if at 9 o'clock on a Saturday morning they are a little quiet - they are more willing to come to you if they do have a problem, as you have shown you are there to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will just pick up on the 'how' of number 8. If we have said you need to show you have empathy and care for your students, how do you balance this with not being seen as a 'soft' teacher? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts more on maintaining discipline, corrections and feedback etc. I do think at any age positive reinforcements are always necessary- it can really undermine self confidence to hear only criticism - but as was raised in the session last week it can spur students on to know what they are doing less well. How do you balance the relationship side with the job and what is the link between them that will make you the most successful teacher?
    Hope that's helped a bit, am somewhat out of practice with commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks. It helps a lot looking at my ideas through someone else's eyes. Kinda puts it into perspective.
    In the classes I teach now I have a very clear set of class rules which once like you I've said hi and had a quick catch up I outline so the children know where they stand and what is expected of them from the off. I always try to explain why these rules are there. I wouldnt follow someone's instructions blindly so why should they. This works well for me know but I feel that as I embark on a career within a secondary school this would make me a soft teacher. Who probably looks open to being taken advantage of. How do I approach this???

    Writing this has made me realise that actually how a teacher controls there class is really interesting. I think you just helped me narrow down my field of inquiry :) thanks.

    ReplyDelete